Memorial’s Team Wins When It Comes to Keeping Athletes in the Game
Everyone knows there is no “I” in TEAM, but there are many members of the Memorial Network team who are helping to keep area athletes in the game for Metro East high school, college, professional, and semiprofessional teams.
They include the Memorial Medical Group (MMG) Sports Medicine department and the people who support this department.
For more information on the Sports Medicine team at Memorial please call Lauren Beach at (618) 257-5756 or Dani Collins at (618) 767-6127 or visit www.mymemorialnetwork.com/sports-medicine
Sports Medicine Support
- Four musculoskeletal radiologists at Memorial specialize in sports medicine injuries on MRI.
- MMG Orthopedic Surgery handles injuries to the hand or spine that require sub-specialization.
- The primary care providers and other specialists diagnose and treat athletes when they are medically ill or sustain injuries outside of the sports medicine field, such as breaking a jaw while playing baseball.
- Memorial physical therapists help rehabilitate surgically repaired and non-operatively managed injuries. When it comes to physical therapy, communication is key.
- Anesthesiologists perform regional anesthetic blocks to help patients.
- The high school and college administrators, educators, and parents want to keep their students safe while they have fun and hone life skills by participating in athletics.
- Athletic trainers triage and evaluate athletes on the field, court, track, and ice rink.
- Specialized operating room nurses coordinate and assist in orthopedic procedures.
The Metro East community supports these teams and returns to enjoy these family-friendly activities.
Sports Medicine Athletic Training Support
MMG Sports Medicine is proud to provide medical services and/or athletic training support to the following teams:
- Belleville East High School
- Belleville West High School
- Cahokia High School
- Nashville Community High School
- Lindenwood University
- McKendree University
- Fire and Ice Soccer
- Gateway Grizzlies Baseball
Dr. Michael Hughes
Dr. Michael Hughes serves as medical director of Memorial Medical Group Sports Medicine.
He received his medical degree and orthopedic surgery training at the University of Missouri-Columbia. He completed fellowship training at Washington University in St. Louis/Barnes Hospital in sports medicine and arthroscopy where he was able to participate in the orthopedic care of the Washington University Bears, St. Louis Blues, and St. Louis Rams.
Dr. Hughes is currently the only sports medicine certified orthopedic surgeon in St. Clair County. He’s board certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery (ABOS). He has also received a sub-specialty Certificate in Orthopaedic Sports Medicine from the ABOS.
Dr. Hughes has served five years as the head team physician for the Lindenwood University-Belleville and McKendree University Athletic Departments. He is currently the orthopedic surgeon and team physician for the Gateway Grizzlies baseball club as well as Belleville East, Belleville West, Cahokia, and Nashville Community High Schools. In addition, he served as the orthopedic surgeon for Althoff, O’Fallon Township, and East St. Louis High Schools for five years.